Article by James
When I sit down to write a blog, I have to say I get all excited about the research part. I firstly traipse through mags I’ve disembowelled, notes I’ve written as reminders, and so on and blah, blah. Then I hit the net to check things out. So while usually trying to write something about a flick that is coming out and somehow exciting, you would be amazed what you find. And in the case of the new flick Killing Them Softly, starring the male section of Brangelina, seems the interesting stuff ain’t in the lead.
So, to be fair, Killing Them Softly is the story of a professional enforcer named Jackie Cogan (Pitt), who investigates a robbery of some description that went down during a mob-protected poker game. Now I suspect, it was a mob member that gets fingered (robbed that is – just in case your mind lives in the gutter). Naturally everyone is clambering to interview Pitt re this film as they get to ask how the kids are and when the wedding date is… But you just have to look at Writer/Director Andrew Dominik, and the rest of the frickin’ amazing cast to really get excited about this film.
Andrew Dominik – Wrote and Directed 2000’s shockingly engrossing Chopper and 2007’s The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – starring Pitt as well but wasn’t the stand-out performance really Casey Afflick…
- James Gandolfini – co-starring this legend of TV’s The Sopranos, a real mob flick should never be made without this man. Well, while type-cast he may be, a rom-com would just be wrong.
- Ben Mendelsohn – co-starring this staple of some decent Australian film and some edgy TV, I am at a loss to why Mendelsohn has chosen to get busy in Hollywood in his craggy years. Is it timing? Or is it tried, failed, return to Oz, and re-launch with globally recognized killer performance in 2010’s Aussie flick Animal Kingdom? I mean while he hasn’t made the wisest of choices in many circumstances, this year in Oz he has had straight to video Joel Schumacher’s stink-bomb Trespass with stink-bomb-inducing duo Cage and Kidman, a significant role alongside Jason Statham, Clive Owen and Robert De Niro in Killer Elite… and then, a co-starring role in Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises. HOW??? Now this!
- Richard Jenkins (co-stars) – if you don’t know who this is, believe me, you will know his face. Just have a look at this guy’s career… on and on and over 8 films in various states to be released in 2013 and beyond.
- Ray Liotta (co-stars) – while Liotta is known for so many great roles over the years, it will always be his portrayal of Clarice Starling’s boss in the supremely under-rated Ridley Scott directed 2001’s Hannibal that I remember. What actor could be cast alongside Hopkins’s chilling performance as Hannibal Lecter and seem the more the evil?
- And then there is Sam Sheppard (co-stars). Now while Sheppard will always be a sort-a indie version of sad old Kevin Costner (yes, I know he just won an Emmy), it is his 28-year relationship with the wonderful Jessica Lange that sparks my interest – it ended 2 years ago. Did you see her at the Emmy’s winning for a supporting role in American Horror Story? Great for her I say, as she deserves all the accolades she gets. But I noticed she has three children. Two to Sheppard, and one previously to the guy who played the 50 year old visual artist Pertrovsky (or something) in the sixth season of TV’s Sex and the City! You know the guy who takes Carrie to Paris for the finale then hits her? What an asshole! Ha,ha,ha… I digress.
So there you have it. Many, many reasons to see Killing Them Softly, released early October in Oz. And least of all being Pitt.